Value of ORCID for Funders
What is ORCID?
- ORCID = Open Researcher & Contributor Identifier
- ORCID iD = a free, unique, persistent identifier to distinguish between individuals
- ORCID record = linked to the ORCID iD, allows researchers to easily store and share info about their affiliations & activities over time
- ORCID API (application programming interface) can be built into local systems to streamline grant application and reporting workflows
- Example: SciENcv (biosketch tool used by NIH and NSF) imports publications, biography, employment, and education history directly from ORCID rather than asking researchers to manually enter their information
- The ORCID organization is a global non-profit supported by a membership structure, with a governance board elected by member institutions
Who uses ORCID?
- Research institutions – see ORCID US Community members (170+ research institutions in the US alone)
- Publishers – 110+ publishers requiring ORCID iD around the globe
- Funders – increasingly requesting or requiring ORCID iDs for investigators (learn more)
- Individuals – over 13 million people across the globe involved in research, innovation, & scholarly communication in multiple disciplines
Why use ORCID?
ORCID makes it easier for funders to assess awardee networks and influence & evaluate grant and program outputs and impact, by allowing funding organizations to:
- Uniquely identify researchers and stay connected with alumni over time
- Streamline collection of trustworthy data about researchers and their activities, to more easily measure funding impact and return on investment
- Confirm relationships with researchers in the broader research landscape by asserting funding award information in researchers’ ORCID records
- Save time and reduce administrative burden for applicants, awardees, and administrators by using the ORCID API for automated data transfer in application and reporting workflows
Where to go for more information?
- Learn more about ORCID for funding organizations at https://orcid.org/content/orcid-funding-organizations
- Find out how ORCID can benefit your organization specifically – email email@example.com to set up a consultation