Value of ORCID for Funders
What is ORCID?
- ORCID = Open Researcher & Contributor Identifier
- ORCID iD = a free, unique, persistent identifier to distinguish between individuals
- ORCID record = linked to the ORCID iD, allows researchers to easily store and share info about their affiliations & activities over time
- ORCID API (application programming interface) can be built into local systems to streamline grant application and reporting workflows
- Example: SciENcv (biosketch tool used by NIH and NSF) imports publications, biography, employment, and education history directly from ORCID rather than asking researchers to manually enter their information
- The ORCID organization is a global non-profit supported by a membership structure, with a governance board elected by member institutions
Who uses ORCID?
- Research institutions – see ORCID US Community members (190+ research institutions in the US alone)
- Publishers – 110+ publishers requiring ORCID iD around the globe
- Funders – increasingly requesting or requiring ORCID iDs for investigators (learn more)
- Individuals – over 13 million people across the globe involved in research, innovation, & scholarly communication in multiple disciplines
Why use ORCID?
ORCID makes it easier for funders to assess awardee networks and influence & evaluate grant and program outputs and impact, by allowing funding organizations to:
- Uniquely identify researchers and stay connected with alumni over time
- Streamline collection of trustworthy data about researchers and their activities, to more easily measure funding impact and return on investment
- Confirm relationships with researchers in the broader research landscape by asserting funding award information in researchers’ ORCID records
- Save time and reduce administrative burden for applicants, awardees, and administrators by using the ORCID API for automated data transfer in application and reporting workflows
ORCID Resources for Funders
- Value Stories: ORCID for Funders
- Community Call: ORCID in Funding Workflows (featuring American Heart Association and the Melanoma Research Alliance)
- Email Templates (for ORCID outreach to researchers)
- Blog: ORCID & ProposalCentral: Benefits for Funders
- ORCID for funding organizations
Where to go for more information?
- Find out how ORCID can benefit your organization specifically – email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a consultation