New Member Guide
Welcome to the ORCID US Community! As a member of the ORCID US Community, your institution has access to all of the benefits of premium ORCID membership.
Please include the ORCID Member Organization logo below on your website to indicate that your organization supports ORCID. To request the logo, email email@example.com.
To get set up with your institutional ORCID membership, please complete the following:
- In an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, send:
- Brief description and logo for your institutional member page
- Institutional email domain(s) that should be used to find ORCID holders at your institution
- Review the New Member’s Guide (this document) and other related materials:
- Review the ORCID US Community Resources page, especially the Getting Started with ORCID page and ORCID US Planning Guide
- Consider watching the webinar recording: Making the Most of your ORCID Membership
- Sign up for one or more of the communication channels listed below (your official contacts will receive an invitation to join the ORCID US Community Member's Discussion Forum)
Activate your ORCID Member Portal
The main contact for ORCID at your organization will receive an email from ORCID with information on how to activate your organization's ORCID Member Portal. The main contact will serve as the initial "organization owner" for the member portal, but they can add additional users and/or transfer ownership at any time. The following documentation will be helpful as you get started using the member portal:
- Account Management Guide (explains how to add users, transfer ownership, etc.)
- Member Reporting Guide (documents the reports available via the member portal)
Official Contacts at your Organization
Each member organization should designate official contacts to ensure efficient communication with the ORCID US Community and the ORCID organization. New members submit their contacts via form during the new member paperwork process. Contacts may be updated at any time by sending an email to email@example.com. All contacts will be invited to join the ORCID US Community Members-Only Discussion Forum and will receive a monthly member newsletter from ORCID.
- Main Contact/Voting Representative – Required. There may only be one Main Contact/Voting Representative from each organization at any given time. The Main/Voting Contact indicated for each member organization shall be the main person who represents the organization in terms of ORCID activities:
- The Main Contact will be contacted if other individuals at the organization request access to the organization’s ORCID Member API keys.
- As an ORCID member, your organization has the right to vote in ORCID's annual board elections. The designated Main Contact will receive voting information from ORCID and will vote on behalf of the organization.
- The Main Contact will also be designated as the “Organization Owner” for access to the ORCID Member Portal. The Organization Owner has the ability to add additional users to the portal, or transfer ownership if needed, according to the Member Portal Account Management Guide.
- Technical Contact(s) – Required. There may be more than one Technical Contact(s), responsible for managing the ORCID API (application programming interface) keys for your organization. The designated technical contact(s) will be made aware of upcoming updates to the API and other relevant technical information. The technical contact(s) will also be contacted if other individuals at the organization request access to the organization’s ORCID Member API keys.
- Billing Contact(s) – Optional. Billing contact(s) may be designated as necessary, to receive invoice and billing communications. Billing contact(s) will not be invited to the ORCID US Community Members-Only Discussion Forum unless specifically requested.
- Additional Contacts – Optional. In addition to the Main/Voting and Technical contacts, additional contacts may be designated to be included in general ORCID US communications, including the ORCID US listserv and Members-Only Discussion Forum. There is no limit to the number of additional contacts that may be added. (The more the merrier!)
Institutional Member Page
Each ORCID US Community member organization has a designated information page, accessible from https://orcid.org/members/001G000001wND7XIAW-lyrasis. Please send a brief description of your institution and a logo image to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can populate your member page. You can also provide a website URL and a public contact email to display on the page.
- ORCID US Website: The ORCID US Community website (http://orcidus.lyrasis.org) is the best place to start for information and resources specific to ORCID in the US. The website also provides links to helpful information from the ORCID organization website (http://orcid.org).
- ORCID US Members-Only Discussion Forum: The goal of ORCID US is to encourage adoption and use of ORCID and to build an inclusive community of practice around ORCID in the US. Members are encouraged to discuss and share ORCID plans, advice, success stories, and challenges with other members via our Members-Only Discussion Forum. Once your official contacts are designated, they will be invited to join the forum. To request forum access for additional representatives at your organization, please email email@example.com.
- ORCID US Listserv: This listserv is open to both members and non-members/interested parties as a designated channel for general communication around ORCID in the US. Anyone who is interested may subscribe to this list at http://lyralists.lyrasis.org/mailman/listinfo/orcid-us.
- Twitter: Follow the ORCID US Community on Twitter at @USconsortium
- Community Resources: A range of helpful resources can be found from the Community Resources page of the ORCID US Community website.
- Support: To request a consultation and/or technical support, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Getting Started with ORCID
To help you get started with planning for ORCID adoption at your organization, please see our Getting Started with ORCID page.