Any non-profit organization in the US can become a member of the ORCID US Community, administered by LYRASIS, which provides premium ORCID consortium membership benefits to participating organizations. Premium membership is the highest level of ORCID membership. To learn more about how your organization could benefit from ORCID US Community membership, or to request membership paperwork and become a member, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
ORCID US Membership Fees
Currently, each organization in the ORCID US Community consortium pays the same fee of $4,800 per calendar year, and this fee will remain flat through 2023, after which it is subject to change based on ORCID’s fee principles. The membership fee is pro-rated for new members joining mid-year. All members receive an annual renewal notice to confirm continued participation from year to year.
ORCID US Community membership fee breakdown:
- $3,000 - ORCID membership fee
- $1,800 - LYRASIS administrative and support fee
ORCID US Membership Benefits
Organizations participating as members of the ORCID US Community receive the following benefits:
- Access to 5 Premium ORCID Member API keys for connecting multiple enterprise systems with the ORCID registry. Integration of local systems with the ORCID API allows institutions to:
- Authenticate, connect, read, and update associated researchers’ ORCID iD records
- Assert ownership of organization name(s) for consistent, trusted, and valid affiliations with researchers
- Maintain connections with researchers across time, disciplines, and borders
- Ease administrative burden with faster, interoperable, and automated information sharing between local systems and researchers’ ORCID records
- Access to the ORCID Member Portal, which provides access to:
- Member Reporting: On-demand, real-time reporting and statistics related to local adoption of ORCID and usage of institutional ORCID API integrations
- Affiliation Manager: Graphical user interface (GUI) that allows institutions to add affiliations to their researchers’ ORCID records manually or via CSV upload
- Monthly ORCID Member Newsletter
- Access to dedicated tier 1 technical and community support
- Access to ORCID registry search services to help identify current ORCID holders at your institution (for planning and assessment purposes)
- Participation in the annual ORCID US Community Awards
- Access to the ORCID US Community Members-Only Discussion Forum, and participation in a growing national and international community developing best practices, knowledge, and skills in research and scholarly communication workflows
To get the most value from ORCID, members should integrate the ORCID member API into local systems using the 5 API keys that are included in the ORCID US member benefits. To learn more about how to get started, visit our ORCID US Planning Guide.